11 Grammar and Style Tips That Can Nail Your Content

by - Saturday, June 03, 2017

Jane Martinito keyboard
Photo credits to Pixabay
I was busy studying courses related to my specialty a few weeks ago. I wanted to expand my skills and learn new things. Time management has never been easy for a working mom. But I have a goal. I have to work my butt off. Certificates add credentials. The certificates can also be a clients' reference, as a proof that you are capable of the job. That's the reason why I'm eager to have as many certificates as I can. Last May, I accomplished a free course, which is Content Marketing from Hubspot Academy. Yes, it's FREE. Writing is crucial for me as a blogger. I would like to share some important points I learned in writing an engaging article. Remember that these are more on the technical side of writing.

1. Use contractions

A contraction is a shortened form of a word or group of words, with the omitted letters often replaced in written English by an apostrophe. For example, you're for you are, isn't for is not, dep't for department and don't for do not.

2. Write with simple language

Your readers should understand your content. Avoid the words that are difficult to understand. Make it easy for your readers.

To check if your content is readable, try readable.io and Flesch-Kincaid readability test.

3. Use the active voice

According to Strunk & White's The Elements of Style, active voice is preferred because it is more "vigorous". The active voice refers to the verb in which the subject performs an action indicated by its verb. For example: Jane writes this informative blog. This informative blog was written by Jane. The first sentence is an example of a sentence in the active voice while the second sentence is a sentence written in the passive voice.

4. Be clear and concise

This will help to avoid confusion and misinterpretation. According to Jami Oetting, you should remove extra words, irrelevant ideas, rants, and obvious details.

You should use words that are familiar to your readers. Use analogy, metaphor and examples to clarify
complicated sentences.


5. Use short sentences and paragraphs

Break up long paragraphs and sentences. This makes your content easier to read. For example, I was busy studying courses related to my specialty a few weeks ago. I wanted to expand my skills and learn new things. Time management has never been easy for a working mom. But I have a goal. I have to work my butt off. Certifications add credentials. The certificates can also be the clients' reference, as a proof that you are capable of the job. That's the reason why I was eager to have as many certificates as I can.
to this, I' was busy studying courses related to my specialty a few weeks ago. I wanted to expand my skills and learn new things. Time management has never been easy for a working mom. But I have a goal. I have to work my butt off. Certifications add credentials. The certificates can also be the clients' reference, as a proof that you are capable of the job. That's the reason why I was eager to have as many certificates as I can.

6. Cut away "fluffy" words from your writing

Avoid these words: really, very, actually, incredibly, just and in order to. Be careful with the adverbs. And avoid too many adjectives in your work. I use Hemingway Editor to cut and simplify my words.

7. Adhere to a style guide

This includes how you handle punctuation, grammar voice, and tone. And industry-specific terms, common mistakes, and any brand specific guidelines.

Many organizations have style guide. One of the style I know, which is recommended by my former English professor is Strunk & White's The Element of Style.

This list of style guide might help you a style according to your niche.

8. Use "you" and "your"

This helps you sound conversational in your writing. This helps your reader bring them into your discussion.

9. Avoid jargon

Jargon is the language used for a particular activity or by a particular group of people. For example, BTW for by the way and LOL for laugh out loud. Click the link to know more examples of jargons. Remember that not everyone understands jargon so, you should define what you are trying to say. And when it comes to acronyms and abbreviations, give their full meaning the first time you mention them.

10. Don't be snarky

Negativity has its own place. Show your expertise through confidence. But you should be straightforward and friendly.

11. Use spell check

You have to always check your spelling. You can always use Google to check if you spell every word right. Or when using Microsoft Word, just press Shift + F7.

Conclusion

Strengthen your content through following these simple and doable tips. Never stop learning and improving. Les Brown said that practice only makes the improvement. There's no perfection.
Interested in learning the content marketing course? You may sign up to Hubspot Academy and take the course for free. Among these tips, what are you guilty of? Write your answers in the comments section below. Thanks for reading!
Love lots,

You May Also Like

0 comments